Wednesday 15 October 2014

When the unfortunate inevitable occurs...



Though my mind has been wandering off on it's peculiar monologues as it often does, I must confess my sucky human crime while I am reflecting upon it and express my humble regrets.  Some might consider it a warped initiation and until this afternoon, I have escaped the hit and run ranks.
An extremely fast dark fluffy wallaby, I believe, darted out in front of me on my drive home today. I knew immediately that I would hit him head on and all I could do was brake and brace myself.  
If only I could have braced him.  
He bounced off the front of the car and glided into the road side grasses and in my shock, I kept going. Horrified by what happened and my spinelessness at not stopping, I prayed that he was dead on impact as I know that I wouldn't manage to deliver a final blow if necessary even though I was already responsible for his painful end.
There are aspects of the human condition that immediately nullify positive sensation.  
For me this is one of them.  
However, what I find even worse is that it all happened in a few split seconds and that's all it took for my pathetic mind to begin wandering off again on its peculiar monologue journeys, thinking that I should find myself some practical summer shoes.
I am not proud of my apparent lack of appropriate sensitivity, as I drove off into the sunset whilst leaving the suffering behind me.
As a driver, I feel partly responsible for all road kill.
It guts me.
For all that I manage to avoid hitting, there is always going to be one, somewhere, someday.
Is the first one the hardest? I doubt it.
I happily burnt rubber last Friday to avoid an echidna hobbling across the road. That was one lucky echidna!
So my poor wallaby friend, Despite appearances, I am very sad and very sorry and though it won't make much difference, I will plant a tree in my yard for you. 

No comments: